Support the schoolwear industry – join the SA
Like any trade body, we rely on the generosity and support of our members. We have had a long-established base of membership, but over the course of the last year we have faced unprecedented challenges to the industry and these obstacles will not be going away.
This is why we are calling on the industry to unite now more than ever.
Membership of the Schoolwear Association is based on signing up to the principles set out in our Code of Practice so that we can continue to increase standards across the industry, as well as sharing best practice and strengthening links between schools, retailers, manufacturers and suppliers.
Over the course of the last year we have faced the potential threat of statutory uniform guidelines through the Education (Cost of school uniforms) Bill which is expected to pass through Parliament later this year. If they are not implemented correctly these guidelines risk causing significant unintended consequences and removing some of the widely known benefits of school-branded uniform form our schools.
The fundraising that we started in late 2019 was vital to enable us to give the industry a voice in Parliament and attempt to influence the shape of statutory uniform guidelines. However, for us to continue to ensure that guidelines are sensible and practical we need the support of the whole market.
This year we have:
- Lobbied the Department for Education to give the industry a voice in Parliamentary debates. See more here.
- Produced a comprehensive policy report to ensure the interests of the industry are considered in any legislation.
- Created an industry report to remind parents, teachers, and politicians of the benefits of a school-branded uniform.
- Drafted an updated and detailed Code of Practice to formalise the industry’s commitment to sustainability, ethical sourcing, quality and high standards.
- Provided ongoing support to SA members over the course of the Covid-19 pandemic through weekly mailers.
- Advised schools on the safety of uniforms as schools re-opened.
- Maintained a regular presence in national, trade and local media publications, promoting the benefits of school-branded uniform to teachers and parents.
Potential changes to legislation, as well as the continued challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, means that the support the SA provides to the whole industry has never been so important.
Without further support the scale of our activity cannot be sustained and the whole industry would lose a powerful and well-respected voice to shout about the benefits of a quality and sustainable uniform, as well as the schemes and initiatives that are so common across schoolwear businesses.
We need your support.